Although this 3,400 pound, nearly ten foot wide seal was created in the foundry at San Quentin, The source of this story has yet to come to light, although it is possibly related to the large seal attached to the Resources Building in downtown Sacramento, placed in 1964, just four years before the earliest known reference to the rumor in 1968.
There is a widespread rumor that the building in the seal found in front of the State Capitol had never appeared in any previous incarnation of the seal, and was meant to represent the chapel at San Quentin State Prison.
The building, along with the break in the mountains, may have been added to give San Francisco Bay a stronger claim on its location being the landscape portrayed in the seal.
and it was in this configuration that the building appeared in the 1937 standardization of the official seal.
No primary source documents have confirmed either of the following intriguing claims. Route 50 in Sacramento County in honor of multiethnic California pioneer William Alexander Leidesdorff, Jr.
In 2004, the California State Legislature passed Assembly Concurrent Resolution 131, authored by Dave Cox. It read, in part: "WHEREAS, In 1847, William Alexander Leidesdorff, Jr.